In discussions about the use of GApps on Android, it’s not uncommon to see people complaining about “Setup Wizard has stopped” GApps. In most of the cases, the lack of permissions is the root of the problem so the best solution is to grant permissions. Additionally, you could change Auto-start management settings, make use of custom recovery mode and so on. Read to the end to learn the way to deal with the issue and put GApps to good use on your phone.
All in all, the operation of GApps is no-nonsense and requires little attention from Android users. That being said, if “Setup Wizard has stopped” GApps give you a hard time, you should keep in mind the suspects down below:
- Auto-start management settings.
What Must Be Done
- Step 1: Open Settings, pick Apps and click the three-dot icon in the top right of the screen.
- Step 2: Hit Show system apps.
- Step 3: Locate Setup Wizard, choose it and select Permissions.
- Step 4: Allow all permissions.
- Step 5: Restart your phone.
Note: Depending on the situation, it’s a good idea to clear cache/clear data of Setup Wizard as well.
Change Auto-Start Management Settings
- Step 1: Open Settings, select Security and choose Auto-Start management.
- Step 2: Proceed to uncheck all the checkboxes next to apps on your phone.
- Step 3: Restart your phone.
Take Advantage Of Custom Recovery Mode
If none of the above work, your last resort is going to be the custom recovery mode (TWRP). Via the custom recovery mode, you should be able to address the corruption that plagues Setup Wizard.
- Step 1: Press and hold the Power button then hit Power Off to shut down your phone.
- Step 2: Press and hold Power and Volume down buttons at the same time to boot into custom recovery mode.
- Step 3: Select Mount, choose System and hit Advanced.
- Step 4: Tap File Manager then make your way to /system/priv-app/Setup-Wizard.
- Step 5: Delete the file, restart your phone and see how things turn out.
Note: Before deleting the /system/priv-app/Setup-Wizard file, make sure to create a backup of it and place the backup on your SD card. If you mess up, you could move the backup to the directory and everything should return to normal.
Should I Install GApps?
In case you don’t know, GApps is a complete package of Google apps typically used by an Android phone user. At the moment, GApps include Google Play, Google Camera, Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Google Music, …. Various background elements such as Google Play Services are also included in this package. If you recently installed a custom ROM in your device, you must consider getting GApps for optimal phone experience.
Does Custom ROM Offer Increased Performance?
Usually, it does. Installing a well-designed custom ROM in your smartphone would help you get maximum productivity from the device. The custom ROM achieves that by using all the processing power of the phone in an effective and efficient way. Needless to say, quite a few Android users prefer to use a custom ROM in their smartphone instead of the default one.
What Are The Benefits Of Installing a Custom ROM?
- It gives you more control over privacy.
- It grants you the ability to personalize everything on your smartphone.
- It increases your phone’s battery life.
- It removes all the bloatware that comes preinstalled with stock ROM.
- It improves the overall productivity of your smartphone.
I am a Software developer with approx 4 years of experience in building various responsive and beautiful websites and apps.
Language: Ruby, Java, HTML/CSS, Android
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Hosting: Heroku, Godaddy
Database: Mysql, Postgres, Mongo, Oracle
Also please look on my stack overflow profile.