All in all, Intel Watchdog Timer is what enables specialized devices to make use of the hardware on many Windows computers. In use, Intel Watchdog Timer would restart crashing instances of programs while logging the events for debugging. As a result, it is essential to make sure that the driver of the Intel Watchdog Timer is up-to-date. If you want to learn more about Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT), you have come to the right place.
Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT): Overview
In layman’s terms, Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT) grants access to the Watchdog timer built into all Intel ICH chipsets. The ICH WDT counts down in 0.6-second ticks but the real number varies based on hardware quality and ambient conditions. In most of the cases, Watchdog intervals vary from 2 to 63 ticks. Also, in a couple of ICH-based systems, the Watchdog timer may be present but deactivated.
How Do I Install Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WDT)
- Step 1: Visit Intel’s download center, type watchdog timer in the search box and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Select Intel NUC Watchdog Timer Utility, choose the latest version and download it.
- Step 3: After you finish downloading the driver, open Device Manager. In Device Manager, expand System, right-click System timer and pick Properties.
- Step 4: Go to Driver tab, click Update Driver and select Browse my computer for drivers. Next, choose Allow me to select a driver from a list of available drivers on my machine.
- Step 5: Proceed to navigate to your driver then set it. Choose Next and wait for the update to complete.
- The most common and well-known approach to enable the watchdog timer is by using the config bits – #pragma config WDTEN = ON
- When triggered, the WDT is similar to the Master Clear External Reset. In this, it will keep a peripheral interface controller in reset. This resets the program counter to the beginning of the program software.
- It is the best practice to just clear the watchdog timer once during the duration of your application. This is due to the fact that you must CLRWDT before the timer expires, and the program is reset. With numerous Clear Watchdog Timer (CLRWDT) instructions, it’s tough to keep track of when the timer will expire.
- Using a timer interrupt to clear the watchdog is not suggested. Since the watchdog is an emergency function that resets the system on “unescapable loops” where an interrupt can still occur. When you clear the watchdog timer in a timer interrupt, the watchdog timer is cleared as part of the interrupt. And the program returns to the loop and remains trapped in the loop as before.
What Is Intel Driver Update Utility?
Also known as the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, Intel Driver Update Utility keeps computers up to date by getting upgrades for all Intel hardware. From time to time, Intel Driver Update Utility for the most recent Intel drivers to download and install.
How Do I Install The Intel Graphics Driver in Windows 10?
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type System Information and hit Enter. Note down your processor number then navigate to the Download Center of Intel using this link. Type the processor number into the search field.
- Step 2: Proceed to click Drivers ( on the left under Filter By) so only drivers show up. For the most recent driver updates, you should consider choosing Intel Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers but alternatives exist.
- Step 3: Select Download then run the.exe file. The installer should now appear on the screen so choose Begin to initialize the installation.
- Step 4: Follow the installation instructions until the installation wraps up.
- Step 5: Check out the result of the installation by opening Device Manager. In Device Manager, select Display Adapters and double-click Intel Graphics card. Navigate to the Driver tab and take a look at the Driver Version as well as Driver Date.
What Must Be Done To Update My Intel Driver?
- Step 1: Press Windows + X key and select Device Manager. Navigate to the Display adapters section.
- Step 2: Go to your Graphics Card, right-click it and choose Update. Follow the instructions and restart your PC after the installation finishes.
- Step 1: Download and install Intel Driver & Support Assistant using this link.
- Step 2: Double-click the Installer.exe file to instate the installation. Read and accept the license terms and conditions.
- Step 3: Choose Install and press launch. The tray icon should appear and launch in your default browser.
Intel Driver & Support Assistant should start scanning your system. Soon, you would now see all the driver updates available for your system.
Is There A Way To Uninstall Intel WDT Watchdog Timer Driver?
It’s possible to delete Intel Watchdog Timer Driver Intel WDT by taking advantage of Control Panel’s Add/Remove Programs.
- Step 1: To open Control Panel, use Windows key + R, type control and hit Enter. Next, go to the Programs section.
- Step 2: Click Uninstall a Program, navigate to the Intel® Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel® WDT), double-click it and choose Uninstall.
- Step 3: Follow the on-screen instructions.
Now all you have to do is to monitor the progress of the uninstallation of Intel Watchdog Timer Driver. Once the process completes, feel free to restart your computer to finalize the change.