An analogue of the ClockworkMod (CWM) is the TeamWin Recovery (TWRP). The TWRP has a more spontaneous touch-interface and extra features. Most devices install CWM or TWRP in place of stock recovery.
Yes, you can install TWRP over CWM. All you need to do is visit https://twrp.me/Devices/ to download the current version for your smartphone model. You can also use the TWRP Manager application to control its functions.
What features make TWRP better than CWM?
Features Of TWRP
Below are the features of TWRP.
- Installation of updates, corrections, and additions.
- Provides a computer connection for ADB debugging.
- Installation of custom assemblies of rums.
- Save copies of system files by backing up memory partitions.
- Allows back up recovery.
- Provides user settings
- Works with a removable drive.
If you have installed the TWRP and don’t know the uses of some of its structure, look below.
Uses Of Some TWRP Structures
- Install: This is for installing .zip files.
- Wipe: is used for deleting system partitions.
- Cache: For erasing temporary files from the system.
- Dalvik Cache: This is used for erasing device cache. However, it is not used in the ART environment.
- Factory reset: For clearing user memory and all caches.
- System: This is used to erase the main part of the firmware.
- Internal storage: For cleansing the in-built storage area.
- External storage: For erasing the external disk drive.
- Android secure: For cleansing the hidden part of the external drive which contains applications.
- Wipe Battery stats: Used for deleting battery statistics.
- Backup: For saving additional copies of the firmware.
- Restore: For restoring a copy of the firmware.
- Mount: Used to open or close access.
Uses Of TWRP
Just like the CWM, the TWRP can be used for the following purposes.
1. For Installing Firmware And Updates
Before you install the firmware, you need to back up all the data and ensure the battery is fully charged.
- Step 1: Connect the drive to the archive.
- Step 2: Go to “Recovery”
- Step 3: Search for the file you want to install and press “OK”
- Step 4: After the installation, you can clear all caches.
- Step 5: Click “Reboot”
2. To Backup Firmware
Follow the steps below to backup and installed firmware.
- Step 1: Boot the system into recovery mode.
- Step 2: Launch “Backup”
- Step 3: Set up compression, system partition, path, and back up the name.
- Step 4: Confirm your actions.
- Step 5: At the end of the process, launch “Reboot”
3. Firmware Recovery
The recovery process is much similar to the backup. Here is how to do it yourself.
- Step 1: Go to “Recovery”
- Step 2: Launch “Restore”
- Step 3: Find the file you want to backup.
- Step 4: Mark the sections and confirm your selections.
How To Install TWRP
Before you install TWRP, make sure you unlock your device’s bootloader.
- Step 1: Download TWRP and save it on your computer as “Platform-tools”
- Step 2: On you switched off the device, go to “FastBoot mode”. To do this, long-press the volume and power button together until the “FastBoot” screen displays.
- Step 3: Using a type-C USB cable, connect your device to the computer.
- Step 4: On your computer, click on the “Platform-tools” folder. Right-click on an empty part of the folder and select “Open command window”
- Step 5: Insert the command, “Flash recovery. IMG”, and click “Enter”
- Step 6: Disconnect your device from the computer once the process has been completed.
However, you can switch to TWRP from CWM without unlocking the bootloader or going into FastBoot mode. This can be done using recovery tools.
Install TWRP Using Recovery Tools
Before you install TWRP using this method, ensure your android device is rooted.
- Step 1: Download “Recovery tools” from Google play store.
- Step 2: Grant all permissions.
- Step 3: On the display, you will find two buttons. Both buttons show “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery” and “Flash TWRP recovery”. Note that only one option can be selected.
- Step 4: You can only select one option. Here, select the “Flash TWRP recovery” option.
- Step 5: The app automatically downloads the required recovery IMG file if it isn’t present on your device.
- Step 6: After the process has been completed, the app will ask if you would like to reboot to your new recovery.
- Step 7: You can cancel or tap “Yes”
Note that you can switch to TWRP from CWM and vice-versa using this app.
Other Methods Of Installing TWRP
- Method 1: Through the official TWRP app for android devices.
- Method 2: SP tools can install TWRP for MTK devices.
- Method 3: Owners of Samsung devices can use “Odin” to install TWRP.
- Method 4: TWRP can be installed by rebooting into “FastBoot mode”
A faster way of installing TWRP is by using recovery tools. Although it requires your android device to be rooted before it can work, it is still your best option.
Recovery tools can be gotten for free from the Google play store. You can use it to switch between CWN and TWRP at will with no stressful procedure.
I am a Software developer with approx 4 years of experience in building various responsive and beautiful websites and apps.
Language: Ruby, Java, HTML/CSS, Android
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Hosting: Heroku, Godaddy
Database: Mysql, Postgres, Mongo, Oracle
Also please look on my stack overflow profile.