Where your phone storage is full, you just have to move your apps to the SD card. But what happens when the “Move to SD Card” button is greyed out? That means you won’t be able to move apps from the internal storage to your SD Card.
Several factors could be the reason you can’t move apps to SD card on LG. Three major reasons have been discussed below.
1. Developers Choice
Sometimes, developers of android apps do not make them available for transfer to the SD card. Here, you notice that the “Move to SD card” button is greyed out. This could be one of the reasons you can’t move your app to an SD card.
2. Widget Support
Another reason for this problem is the widget support. When you install an app on the SD card, the widget from that app may be unavailable to your LG device. As a result, your app may refuse to run. You need to restart your device before the widget can work well.
3. Account And Syncing Service
If the app you are trying to move has a background syncing or account, it may not work well on an SD card. For this reason, the “Move to SD card” button will be grayed out.
Some versions of Android do not allow apps to be moved. If that is the case with you, downgrade your LG phone to a lower version. That’s not all, there is more to come.
Here is how to move apps from the phone or internal storage to your SD card.
How To Move Apps To SD Card
Below are the steps you can use to move your apps easily.
- Step 1: Go to the “Settings” menu of your LG phone.
- Step 2: Click on “General”
- Step 3: Select “Apps” from the list of options that pop up.
- Step 4: Choose the app you want to move to.
- Step 5: Tap on the “Storage” option.
- Step 6: If the app can be moved, you will find the “Change”
- Step 1: Go to “Settings” on your LG phone.
- Step 2: Select “Apps and notifications”
- Step 3: Click on “App info”
- Step 4: Tap the “Change” button to move the app to an SD card. You can use the same button to move it back to internal storage.
Moving your apps one after the other to an SD card can be stressful and time-consuming.
The best option is to set your default storage location to the SD card. Follow the steps below to do that.
- Step 1: Go to “Settings” on your LG device.
- Step 2: Select “Memory and storage”
- Step 3: Tap “Default location”
- Step 4: Choose an SD card as your default storage location.
If you want to back up or transfer the data on your LG phone to a computer, look below.
How To Backup Or Transfer Data On LG To Computer
An app you can use to transfer or back up data to your computer is the MobileTrans. After downloading the app, follow the steps.
- Step 1: Launch the application on your computer and select the “Backup option”
- Step 2: Connect your LG device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Step 3: If the app detects your device, it will display all the supported file types in the application window.
- Step 4: Select the “Apps” option as the file type of your choice.
- Step 5: Click on the “Start” button to begin the backup process.
- Step 6: Make sure your LG device is connected to the computer throughout the backup process.
You can not only backup your apps but data from your social media as well.
Why is app transfer from LG device to SD card so important? Look below to find out.
Reasons for Moving Apps to SD Card
There are many reasons you would like to move your apps to the SD card. A few important ones have been listed below.
- Insufficient storage space: Most LG devices have low internal space. Here you need to move some apps to your SD card to free up some space.
- Need for faster device performance: If your device internal storage has many apps, it can slow down the performance. You can move apps to the SD card if you want your device to perform faster.
- After purchasing an SD card with bigger storage space: Does your LG device have an internal storage space of 2G to 16G? Then you need to move some apps, after purchasing an SD card with bigger storage space.
- To back up apps before performing a factory reset: You can lose your data after performing a factory reset. The best option is to back up important files to your SD card or a computer before performing a factory reset.
Google has banned some versions of android from being able to move apps. If you can’t move your apps because of this, then you should downgrade to a lower android version.