Since all kinds of people exist on Discord, moderators must know how to remove someone from a Discord group/channel so as to get rid of disturbing users. The process is a straightforward affair that takes little time and effort to complete in most of the cases. Take a look at this article to keep undesirable elements out of your Discord group/channel.
Reasons for a kick/ban
How to Remove Someone from a Discord Chart on PC
Follow these steps below to kick or ban users from a room in Discord.
1. Open Discord. Select the server from the list on the left side of the screen
2. Scroll through and select which channel (voice or text chat channel) you want the user to leave from.
3. Select a user you want to ban. A pop-up menu will appear with a few different options.
4. Click Ban (username) at the bottom of the list. A pop-up message will appear. to confirm
5. Click Ban to confirm.
*Note: The user can join the channel only when given permission by those with the proper roles.
Although there’s no real way to “ban” someone from a direct message for a certain amount of time, you can kick them off the chat group if you want to give them another chance to rejoin the group.
To Kick Someone Out of a Discord Group DM Chat
1. Open Discord. Select the group message. All of your direct messages appear under the “Direct Messages” heading.
2. Click the member icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
3. Select the one you want to kick out, then a pop-up will appear.
4. Click ‘Remove from Group’. This person will no longer be a part of this group conversation.
Locating A User to A Different Channel
Sometimes you may not want to kick a user from the channel, but move them to a different one. This can occur if someone has left but let their microphone on and all of their background noise can be heard in the channel. There are two ways to move a user from one channel to another:
- Method 1: Drag a user’s name from the channel to another similar channel. You can only move a user from a voice channel to another voice channel, or text channel to text channel. You’ll also need to have the move-members permission enabled.
- Method 2: Right-click the user’s name –> Select Move to from the popup menu –> choose the channel you want that user moved.
Pruning Your Server
If you are in trouble keeping track of members and need to kick stale users who haven’t logged into your server for a set of time, you can mass kick them all with the Prune option instead of policing each member individually. To prune, please follow these steps:
- Select Server Settings on the top of the screen then the server you want to prune.
2. In the “Members” tab, you’ll see the whole list of members with their roles in your server. You’ll also find the Prune.
3. Select the time threshold for last activity you want to prune members for. You can choose among 1 day, 7 days, 30 days.
Keep in mind that before pruning if you’re trying to remove someone, you are needed to remove the role because pruning will only work on those members without a currently assigned role. This is a really good way to keep your servers clean of freeloaders. But, be careful while Pruning as sometimes you probably miskick your friends out.
I am a Software developer with approx 4 years of experience in building various responsive and beautiful websites and apps.
Language: Ruby, Java, HTML/CSS, Android
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Hosting: Heroku, Godaddy
Database: Mysql, Postgres, Mongo, Oracle
Also please look on my stack overflow profile.