The HTC download mode when entered, lets you install custom files on your device by unlocking the bootloader. When flushed, these custom files can customize your phone to a great extent.
Sometimes, your HTC phone gets stuck in the download mode. There is an easy way to exit the download mode. You only have to follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Download and install “Reboot” on your PC. Software that helps you to enter and exit the HTC download mode.
- Step 2: Connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Step 3: Launch the software and click on “One-Click to Exit Download Mode”
- Step 4: If the process is successful, you will see this message on your screen, “your device is now in normal mode”
With just 4 easy steps, you don’t have to worry about being stuck in download mode.
Another name for the download mode is the bootloader. It is locked by default; follow the steps below to unlock it.
How to Unlock Bootloader/Download Mode
To do this, you need to download SDK and set up the ADB toolkit. After doing that, you can follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Go to “settings” and click “Power”. Make sure the fast boot option is not checked.
- Step 2: Go to http://www.htcdev.com on your computer. Ensure you register, then click on “Unlock bootloader”
- Step 3: Click “Get started”
- Step 4: Choose your HTC phone from the drop-down menu.
- Step 5: Click “Begin to unlock bootloader”
- Step 6: If you can’t find your phone, click the “All other supported models” option. Click “Yes” to continue.
- Step 7: Read the terms carefully, then select “Proceed to unlock instructions”
- Step 8: After the bootloader instructions appear, turn off your phone.
- Step 9: Long press the volume and power button together.
- Step 10: Select “Fastboot” from the options that will pop up when the phone powers on.
- Step 11: Connect your device to the computer.
- Step 12: Follow the on-screen instructions on the computer to complete the process.
You have now successfully unlocked the download mode/bootloader of your device.
There are three ways however to enter HTC download mode. Each of them has been fully discussed below.
Enter HTC Download Mode Using Reiboot
Follow the steps below to enter download mode using this option.
- Step 1: Go to “Menu” and tap “Settings”
- Step 2: Click on “Developers options” on your HTC phone and enable the USB debugging option.
- Step 3: Connect your device to a computer using a USB cable.
- Step 4: Download and install the “Reiboot” software.
- Step 5: Launch the software and click on “Enter download mode”
- Step 6: Choose your device brand and follow the guide to enter download mode.
Enter Download Mode Manually Using Buttons
You can reboot your phone into download mode manually. Here is how to do it.
- Step 1: Using the power button, turn off your device.
- Step 2: Long press the power and volume button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Step 3: A menu will pop up. Using the volume and power key, navigate and click on “download mode”
You can enter download mode just by pressing the volume and power keys together. Please note that the manual option of entering download mode is for HTC 10/9 only.
Enter Download Mode Using the Android SDK
To do this, you need to download the ADB toolkit. Then issue a command from your computer to reboot your device into download mode. Below are the steps in detail.
- Step 1: Download the “Adb toolkit” for your operating system.
- Step 2: Extract the contents in the archive to your computer.
- Step 3: Go to “Settings” on your phone.
- Step 4: Click on “Developer options” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Step 5: Connect your HTC phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Step 6: Launch the ADB folder, Press shift, right-click on a blank area in the folder. Select “Open command window here”
- Step 7: Type “ADB reboot download” into the command prompt window and press enter.
Your phone will turn off and then boot into download mode. That’s not all. What do you do when your HTC phone gets stuck in recovery mode?
What to Do If Your Phone Is Stuck In Recovery Mode
The recovery mode is your phone’s system reboot mode. You may be stuck while trying to perform a recovery, here is what to do.
- Step 1: Ensure the volume buttons on your device is functioning.
- Step 2: Remove your phone from its casing.
- Step 3: Tap “Reboot” on the recovery mode screen.
- Step 4: If the problem persists, wipe data.
- Step 6: The next step is to perform a “Recovery software update” with an SD card.
- Step 7: You can now try to reboot the phone again.
The download mode is one of the important parts of your operating systems. It is the link that allows you to install third-party apps.
If any of the solutions in this article cannot work for you, contact HTC support. You may be asked to show proof of purchase and your warranty card.