Windows update error could lead to “failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 – CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]” and the best solution is to run the troubleshooter. Additionally, it’s wise to perform an SFC and DISM scan, reset Windows update components, install Windows manually, use Media Creation Tool and change the registry. You don’t know your ways around Windows and could use some help? Then this article is exactly what you need.
Approaches To The Situation
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type control then hit Enter to open the Control Panel.
- Step 3: Select Troubleshooting then choose System and Security.
- Step 4: Click Windows Update then hit Next to start troubleshooting.
- Step 5: Once the troubleshooter identifies the problem, click Apply this fix and wait for the process to complete. Lastly, restart your PC and update Windows again when the screen comes back on.
SFC & DISM
You suspect the corruption in the system files is responsible for update failure? In that case, you should run SFC and DISM scan at the earliest opportunity.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + X to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Step 2: Hit Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Step 3: Type sfc /scannow then hit Enter to run System File Checker.
- Step 4: Once the SFC scan is done, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth then hit Enter to run Deployment Image Servicing and Management.
- Step 5: After you finish, type exit then hit Enter to close Command Prompt. Proceed to restart your computer and see if the issue persists
Reset Update Components
- Step 1: Press Windows key + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type cmd then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Step 3: Stop the update services by running each of the commands down below in Command Prompt (Admin).
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- Step 4: Delete the qmgr*.dat files using the following command Del”%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- Step 5: Proceed to rename the Software Distribution and Catroot by running the following commands Command Prompt (Admin).
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Step 6: Reset the BITS service and the Windows Update service to the default security descriptor using the following commands.
- sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- Step 7: Re-register the BITS files and the Windows Update related DLL files
- regsvr32.exe atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- regsvr32.exe wudriver.dll
- Step 8: Now you need to start the stopped services then reset Winsock.
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- netsh winsock reset
- Step 9: Last but not least, exit Command Prompt (type exit and hit Enter) then restart your computer.
Update Windows Manually
- Step 1: Before downloading an update, you should know your version of the Operating system and the KB number you want to install. Press the Windows key + I to open Settings then pick System.
- Step 2: Go to About then under Device specifications and note down your system specs.
- Step 3: Look to the top left, select Home then choose Update & Security.
- Step 4: Go to Windows Update then hit View update history. Note down the KB number of the latest installation.
- Step 5: Launch your web browser then visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Step 6: Enter the KB number in the search field then hit Enter.
- Step 7: Find the version that matches the specs of your system then download it.
- Step 8: Double-click the setup file then follow the installation prompts.
Make Use Of Media Creation Tool
Generally speaking, Media Creation Tool excels at overcoming a wide range of updates issues on Windows computers. Thus, regarding “failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 – CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]”, you should give Media Creation Tool a go.
- Step 1: Launch your web browser, visit the Microsoft website and go to Windows Downloads page
- Step 2: Click Download Tool Now below Create Windows 10 installation media
- Step 3: Once the download is done, double-click the setup file then follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Step 4: Open Media Creation Tool, read the terms and conditions then click Accept.
- Step 5: Select Upgrade this PC now then hit Next.
- Step 6: When the Windows download is complete, check your preferences like Keep only your files and click Install.
- Step 7: Choose the account you want to sign in with then accept the privacy terms.
- Step 8: Sign in to your account and you will be on the latest version of Windows.
Take Advantage Of Registry Editor
- Step 1: Press the Windows key then type Regedit.
- Step 2: Right-click Registry Editor then select Run as administrator.
- Step 3: Before proceeding, create a backup of files of the Registry Editor. Click File, select Export, and save the backup in a safe location.
- Step 4: Navigate to the left panel then click the arrow beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Step 5: Double-click SOFTWARE then go through the following subkeys Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate.
- Step 6: In WindowsUpdate, delete WUServer and WIStatusServer. To delete these components, right-click each while selecting Delete.
- Step 7: Close Registry Editor, restart your computer then try making the update.
A List Of Possibilities
Windows Update Components
All in all, Windows Update components play a key role in the download and installation of updates. If the components go missing, get damaged, or become corrupted, the integration of Windows updates would go haywire. Hence, if you see “Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 – CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]” in the CBS log, give Windows Update components some thought.
System files influence a wide range of processes of the operating system including update. That means if the system files run into problems, the update process would go haywire. Because of that, you should take system files into account while troubleshooting updates troubles.
What Are Windows Update Types?
On Windows 10, Microsoft offers two types of updates i.e. feature updates and quality updates.
- Quality updates commonly known as Cumulative updates are the mandatory updates that are automatically downloaded and installed almost every month. These types of updates are for maintenance purposes and are meant to fix bugs, errors, and patch security vulnerabilities.
- Feature updates include new features, visual improvements, and significant enhancements to improve the overall experience and security. Features updates are similarly bigger in size which means they take a longer time to install than the quality updates.
Does The Windows Update Service Influence Windows Updates?
Windows Update service contributes to the success of the integration of Windows updates. Hence, if you have a hard time updating Windows, you should check out the status of the service.
- Step 1: Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Step 2: Type services.msc then hit Enter to open Windows Services.
- Step 3: Double-click Windows Update then go to the General tab.
- Step 4: Ensure that the Service status is Running and the Startup type is set to Automatic or Automatic(Delayed).
- Set Windows to automatically download the updates.
- If you use a laptop, connect it to a power source during update.
- Do not turn off your computer while installing updates.
Tuan Do is an accomplished author, content provider, and IT specialist with a strong background in computer science. Having studied IT at Hanoi Bach Khoa University, he possesses extensive knowledge in the field and specializes in Microsoft Windows. Tuan plays a vital role as a valued member of 4G Britain magazine, where he provides engaging content, tutorials, and practical fixes for readers. His expertise allows him to simplify complex concepts, making him a reliable source of accurate and insightful tech information. With a deep passion for technology, Tuan is committed to keeping readers informed about the latest advancements in the industry. Through his contributions to 4G Britain, he empowers both tech enthusiasts and professionals by delivering valuable insights and solutions. Tuan’s dedication to providing exceptional content ensures that readers can rely on him as a trustworthy resource in the ever-evolving world of technology.