Is it possible to connect gear with a non-Samsung phone? That must be the question you asked when you purchased Samsung sports gear.
Yes, it is possible to connect the gear with other Android phones. Not just android phones, but even iOS devices. Just make sure your device is compatible with a gear. You may wonder how to go about it. Please follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Download the Samsung gear app on your phone. You should get it from the Google play store if you are using an android phone. Or from an app store if using an iOS device. Ensure your device is compatible with gear before you do this.
- Step 2: Tap the “Samsung gear” among your apps. You can also update the gear app to the latest version.
- Step 3: Tap “Start the journey” which will be displayed in the app.
- Step 4: Pair the gear with your device through Bluetooth.
- Step 5: Read the terms and conditions. Don’t forget to check the boxes and tap “Next”.
- Step 6: Tap “Sign in” if you want to access your Samsung account. If you don’t want to, tap “Skip”.
- Step 7: When both devices are connected, new images will appear on their screens. A clock screen will appear on the gear.
- Step 8: Follow the on-screen tutorial that will be displayed on the gear. This will teach you how to use the basic features there.
Now that you have connected the gear to your device, what next? Apart from using the device to count steps, it can also be used in calculating heart rate. But here are the things to note when you do this.
Things To Note When Using A Gear To Measure Heart rate
When wearing a gear, make sure you don’t fasten it tightly. Ensure you activate the auto heart rate tracking feature. After doing this, note the following:
- The feature should be used only for tracking heart rate.
- In cold temperatures, always make sure you are warm before checking your heart rate.
- The condition of the environment can also cause an inaccurate measurement.
- Moving your body when measuring the heart rate may cause the result to be inaccurate. Make sure you are comfortable and relaxed before you do so.
- If you think the heart rate is accurate, rest for 30 minutes before trying again.
- Skin condition and blood pressure may affect the accuracy of the measurement.
- Remove the gear if it becomes too hot. This may cause skin burn.
- Don’t talk or breathe before taking a heart rate measurement. The result may be inaccurate.
- If the heart rate sensor is dirty, clean it, and try again.
- Where your heart rate is too high or low. The measurement may be inaccurate.
- It uses a sensor that emits light to measure heart rate. Make sure you direct the sensor to face the right direction.
All these and many more are the things to note in ensuring accurate heart rate measurement.
What To Do If Bluetooth Disconnects Both Devices
If both devices become disconnected after you have connected them, do the following below:
- The Bluetooth feature on both devices should be activated.
- Make sure there are no obstacles between both devices.
- Ensure that the Samsung gear app has been updated to the latest version.
- Both devices should be within 10m of each other.
- Restart both devices and launch the Samsung gear app again.
To restart the phone:
- Hold the “power button” of the phone for a few seconds. You will see some options.
- Select the “Power off” option. Then wait for your device to switch off.
- Once it is off, power it on again. This is done using the “power button”.
You now know how to restart your mobile device. That is relatively easy, but what about the gear?
This shouldn’t be a problem. You can be assured just by reading further.
To restart the gear:
- Press and hold the home(power) key for 7 seconds.
- Turn and hold the bezel clockwise till you see the apps screen.
- Tap on “Settings”
- Click on “About gear”
- Then tap “Reset gear”
- Ensure you tap the “tick” symbol that will appear.
Once you have followed these steps above. You can be sure of a relatively easy and stress-free way to restart your devices.
The benefits of using a gear, especially one manufactured by Samsung cannot be overemphasized. This sports gear is waterproof, it counts your steps and also measures heart rate.
You love these features, but don’t want to purchase the gear. This may be because you are using a non-Samsung phone and not sure if the gear will connect. If you have read to this point, then you can now connect your gear with your non-Samsung phone.
I am a Software developer with approx 4 years of experience in building various responsive and beautiful websites and apps.
Language: Ruby, Java, HTML/CSS, Android
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Hosting: Heroku, Godaddy
Database: Mysql, Postgres, Mongo, Oracle
Also please look on my stack overflow profile.