Generally speaking, wired and wireless connections have their pros and cons but regarding ease of use, the latter is superior. Usually, Windows users don’t have to spend much time and effort to connect their computers to WiFi networks. That being said, a couple of errors may complicate the process on occasions. Read to end if your laptop cannot connect to WiFi and keep seeing a notification that says “Change settings, such as making a connection metered”.
Approaches To The Situation
Note: In the beginning, you should see if the root cause lies with the hardware of your PC. By running the Ping command in Command Prompt, you could determine computer hardware is working as expected.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type CMD, right-click Command Prompt and pick Run as administrator.
- Step 2: In Command Prompt (Admin), type Ping 127.1.1.1 and press enter.
- Step 3: If there is no loss in the total number of pings sent and received, your computer’s hardware is working normally. Otherwise, you have to consider repairing/replacing some of the hardware.
Take Services Into Account
- Step 1: Press Windows + R key, type services.msc and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Locate Windows Connection Manager, right-click it and pick Properties.
- Step 3: If Service status says Stopped, hit Start. Also, change Startup type to Automatic.
- Step 4: Select Apply then choose OK to save the changes.
- Step 5: Do the same with WLAN AutoConfig in Services. After you finish, restart your computer.
One way to get rid of connection issues like “Change settings, such as making a connection metered” is to reset the network. To reset your network, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings then hit Network & Internet option.
- Step 2: Select Network reset and choose Reset now.
- Step 3: Choose Yes once prompted.
- Step 1: Go to Search bar, type Troubleshoot and hit Enter.
- Step 2: Click Additional troubleshooter, pick Network Adapter and hit Run the troubleshooter.
- Step 3: Allow the process to run all the way. Assuming that the troubleshooter manages to identify the root cause, you should pick Apply this fix then restart your computer afterward.
What Is A Metered Connection?
A metered connection is an internet connection with a limit on how much data can be utilized by a system. By default, cellular data connections are metered unlike the network connections such as Wi-Fi and Ethernet which aren’t metered by default. Furthermore, the quantity of data transported is tracked so that the user can be warned when it approaches a defined limit.
Moreover, the network adapter’s metered connection setting can be turned on and off at any time. However, if you have two network cards, one wired and one wireless, you may set separate settings for both of them.
How Can I Turn My Connection Metered?
- Step 1: Open Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi.
- Step 2: Choose Manage known network then select the connection you want to turn into a metered connection from the list.
- Step 3: Hit Properties button and toggle the metered connection switch to On.
- While applying changes to the operating system, you should always use the Administrator account. In case you don’t know, the Administrator account possesses all permissions that you need to have to change the OS.
- If you travel from time to time, you should create a network connection shortcut for ease of convenience. All you have to do is to press Win +X > Network Connections > Change adapter options > Right-click on your adapter > Create shortcut. Feel free to place the shortcut wherever you like on the desktop
- Is your network adapter driver out-of-date? Then press Windows + R > Type “devmgmt.msc” > Hit Enter. In Device Manager, locate Network Adapter, right-click it and pick Update driver. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the update of the driver.
Tuan Do is an accomplished author, content provider, and IT specialist with a strong background in computer science. Having studied IT at Hanoi Bach Khoa University, he possesses extensive knowledge in the field and specializes in Microsoft Windows. Tuan plays a vital role as a valued member of 4G Britain magazine, where he provides engaging content, tutorials, and practical fixes for readers. His expertise allows him to simplify complex concepts, making him a reliable source of accurate and insightful tech information. With a deep passion for technology, Tuan is committed to keeping readers informed about the latest advancements in the industry. Through his contributions to 4G Britain, he empowers both tech enthusiasts and professionals by delivering valuable insights and solutions. Tuan’s dedication to providing exceptional content ensures that readers can rely on him as a trustworthy resource in the ever-evolving world of technology.