In discussions about blocking contacts on Android, “Can you block calls but not texts?” is one of the questions that have the heist interactions. Nowadays, Android users could make use of built-in options as well as third-party apps to block calls but still let texts go through. New to Android and have a hard time blocking only calls on your device? In that case, you have come to the right place.
Blocking Calls While Allowing Texts: Summary
- Step 1: Open Settings, select Call settings and choose Call barring.
- Step 2: Hit All incoming.
- Step 3: If prompted, enter the default password 1234.
- Step 1: Open Settings, click Networks and choose Call.
- Step 2: Hit Call reject.
- Step 3: Tick the circle next to Reject all calls.
For your information, Call forwarding allows you to divert calls to another phone number which is usually voicemail. By taking advantage of Call forwarding, you could technically stop calls from disturbing you but still get to read text. Here is how you use Call forwarding:
- Step 1: Launch Phone app, select the three-dot icon on your top right and choose Settings.
- Step 2: Open Supplementary services, click Call forwarding and pick Voice calls.
- Step 3: Tap Always forward, enter the voicemail number and press Enable.
Nowadays, Google Play Store hosts a wide range of third-party applications that allow you to only block calls and still let texts go through. It’s up to you to decide on what app to use but you should read the reviews of the apps to see how they work in reality. One of the best third-party applications for blocking calls is Truecaller that also doubles up as a caller ID tool. If you want something no-nonsense, give Truecaller a go.
Blocking Calls On Android: Reasons
Different people use their phones differently but once it comes to blocking calls on Android, top reasons include:
- People don’t want to be distracted from matters at hand.
- People need some alone time.
- People like to manage their phone usage.
How To Block Texts On Android
Telemarketers, scammers and so on could send multiple texts to Android users that proves annoying. If you like to block texts, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Launch Messages, click the Hamburger (≡) icon then pick Spam and blocked.
- Step 2: Proceed to select the three-dot icon and choose Blocked numbers.
- Step 3: Enter the number you would want to block then hit the Plus sign to add it to the list of blocked numbers.
Do Not Disturb: Insights
In case you don’t know, Do not disturb is a feature that silences all calls, messages, alarms and other alerts. The nature of Do not disturb means it comes in handy when you must concentrate on work, study, sleep and so on. Based on your liking, Do not disturb can be scheduled to turn on automatically at certain times, e.g at night. To enable Do no disturb, open Settings, select Notifications, choose Do Not Disturb and toggle on the switch.
In times of need, you could apply changes to settings of Do not disturb. To silence all calls and messages, go to Calls and Messages in Do not disturb and set it as None. To avoid missing important calls, you might want to enable Repeat callers which allows a call to come through if the same number calls more than once within 15 minutes. To set automatic turning on and off of this mode during specific times, tap Add schedule then rename this schedule.
I am a Software developer with approx 4 years of experience in building various responsive and beautiful websites and apps.
Language: Ruby, Java, HTML/CSS, Android
Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Hosting: Heroku, Godaddy
Database: Mysql, Postgres, Mongo, Oracle
Also please look on my stack overflow profile.